Monday, May 18, 2009

Chickpea and Spinach Stew

I frequently listen to the local NPR station on my commute to and from work. Last month, NPR started a segment sharing recipes for meals that serve four people for under ten dollars, the first of which is this recipe from Chef Jose Andres, who trained under Ferran Adria and now owns a number of restaurants in the DC area. After hearing the segment on the radio, I decided to try it that night. Lacking time, I used one can of chickpeas, had no Sherry vinegar and so used white wine vinegar, and based on the contents of my spice rack, omitted the saffron and replaced the Spanish paprika and olive oil with regular paprika and olive oil. Otherwise I followed the recipe as written. It was very good, not amazing, but was added to my standard menu list.

Last night, I made another attempt at the recipe. This time, I did extra alterations, and really enjoyed the results, so here's my new recipe (and it still doesn't break the $10 mark as long as you have these ingredients already):

Spanish Chickpea and Spinach Stew
serves 4

1 slice bread (white or wheat), cut into cubes

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large shallot, chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground paprika
Pinch red pepper flakes

2-15oz. cans chickpeas, drained
2 cups stock (I used Imagine Organic vegetable stock)
2 Tbsp sherry
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups frozen cut spinach (you can toss it in frozen)

1-2 eggs per person
Pita bread (one per person)

Toast the bread in a large skillet (dry, over medium high heat) until browned and crisp, then either crush into crumbs with your hands or with a food processor/blender/mortar and pestle. Heat the olive oil in the skillet, saute the shallots and garlic until soft, then add the red pepper flakes, cumin, and paprika. Cook for about a minute, then add the chickpeas, stock, sherry, vinegar, and bread crumbs. Simmer for 5 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, add the spinach, and cook about 5 minutes more to let the spinach soften. Fry 1-2 eggs in olive oil for each person, and warm the pita bread in a toaster oven or toaster.

Serve in a bowl, topped with the egg(s) and with the pita bread on the side.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Welcome back, Llama!
I've missed you.

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Hi Llama!